Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 14th, 2011

I had no idea before the day started what Valentine's would bring for our family. It started just like years past. We had special goodies for the kids and Matt and I had placed our cards on the kitchen table for each other. A part of what Matt wrote in my card read, "We have been through so much together and I would not have had any other woman by my side through it all." There was a lot of other mushy stuff too. :) I still get the little butterflies from all the sweet things he says to me. I had no idea what the rest of the day would hold for us and our family and that we were getting ready to embark on a whole new chapter in our love story.

Monday is Matt's day off. He kept Maylee at home and I had taken Payton in the morning to go on his special date to the aquarium. We looked at the fish and had a fun lunch next to the big shark tank. I was standing in the kitchen telling Matt all about our time at the aquarium when the phone rang.

Matt looked at the caller ID and said, "well, this is it". It was his doctor. We had waited all weekend for the results from a biopsy he had taken on Friday. Matt listened as the doctor gave him the news we were dreading. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and gave me a thumbs down. Everything stood still for a moment. He kept listening intently to what the doctor was saying. He asked a few questions and then the doctor ended the call leaving us to sift through the thoughts and emotions that were to follow. My big and strong husband melted into a vunerable, weak ball of emotions. He just shook his head not knowing what to say or do. We held each other. We cried. We cried some more. We questioned what the next few months would be like for our family and our church.

Our Valentine's Day was the beginning of a new journey that God is going to carry us through. We fully trust in our God. I have no doubt in my mind that Matt is going through this, because God knows that Matt will unselfishly give God the glory through this trial. Our God is good all the time.

No comments: